Making mundane tasks a little bit brighter

Recently, Unclutterer.com posted an article that really resonated with me. It was about little changes you can make that will help you complete otherwise undesirable tasks. The author Erin Doland's example was that she was less disappointed when it rained because she had received a gift of bright yellow boots as a gift. These bright yellow boots make it a little more fun to splash around in the rain.


It got me thinking about little things I could to to put some happiness into mundane tasks. I don't have a dishwasher and I hate cleaning dishes, so immediately took to Etsy and purchased a pretty pair of dishwashing gloves to make the chore just a little bit brighter!

This tip can be applied to so many parts of our lives, and in many cases, for hardly any investment. Another task I loathe is packing my lunch for work (I have hated this since grade school - I don't think I'll ever get over it). To make the activity a little less terrible, I bought a lunch bag with a pretty print on it. The lunch bag cost me $2.00 on sale! A worthy investment in my opinion.

What tasks to you put off that might benefit from a little pick-me-up?


8 comments:

  1. writing thank you notes! HATE HATE HATE doing them, and not because i hate thanking people or because i don't want to show appreciation; my mom used to NAG me and NAG me about it all the time when i was growing up, so now I automatically see it as an annoying task.

    however, when you have nice stationary it makes me resent it just a little less.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. my mom used to do the same thing!!! and i feel the same way as you... pretty stationery makes it a little easier to get that chore done.

      Delete
  2. I love this idea! It makes sense and I'm sure it works. Oh psychology...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a good idea! This is not totally the same but sometimes I spruce up fizzy water drinks to have with dinner on a normal (non-drinking) weeknight to make my meal a little more "fun".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emily I am the same way with my non-alcoholic drinks. I try to make unexciting things seem a little more indulgent. I am a fan of adding frozen berries to lemonade or soda water!

      Delete
  4. I am not a morning person. Recently I've been leaving a Words With Friends round at my turn, so that when I wake up, I can play my word. Makes it a little easier to get up, and snaps my brain into consciousness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex, that is a great way to start the day!

      Delete
  5. This is totally weird....but...I hate vacuuming so I hum and dance while I vacuum. I started doing this as a kid and now I cannot turn the vacuum on without humming.

    ReplyDelete