Amy Sedaris' Simple Times: Crafts for Poor People



Did you know that Amy Sedaris, best known for her role on Strangers with Candy, is also an author? Well, I discovered this several years ago when her book I Like You: Hospitality Under the Influence was published. I immediately bought it for myself and also purchased it as a housewarming gift for two friends who were new homeowners. It is both thoroughly entertaining as well as informative!

When I stopped into Porter Square Books this weekend (a nice activity on early Saturday mornings... they open at 8am!), I noticed she has a more recent book out focused on crafts: Simple Times: Crafts for Poor People. The title alone made me laugh out loud because I know how easy it is to put a serious dent in my wallet with one trip to a craft supply store. A stop for some glue or paint brushes can turn into "Hey, while I am here, I should get all the supplies I would need to start needlepoint, because I have always wanted to try that." Anyway, this book aims to keep crafters creative on a low budget. Or at least laughing at the ideas she has come up with.

You will "discover how to make popular crafts, such as: crab-claw roach clips, tinfoil balls, and crepe-paper moccasins; remember which kind of glue to use with which material (tacky with furry, gummy with gritty, paste with prickly, and always gloppy with gandy); create your own craft room and avoid the most common crafting accidents (sawdust fires, feather asphyxia, pine cone lodged in throat); and cook your own edible crafts, from a Crafty Candle Salad to Sugar Skulls, and many more recipes."

For your viewing pleasure, I have included her video tutorial on how to create Pompoms:

No comments:

Post a Comment