Poppytalk has a great article with 101 Reasons to Buy Handmade. Here are some of my favorite reasons:
4. When you buy handmade, you are purchasing from artisans and craftspeople who enjoy creating their wares. The object holds that positive energy, and it spreads.
19. Buying handmade guarantees that no one will give the same gift as you!
45. Handmade items are what your Great Great Grandma used to buy.
52. Buying handmade is the best way to avoid shopping malls!
56. Buying handmade is an environmentally sound way to shop - handmade items are often made from recycled materials.
60. Buying handmade encourages traditions - how many happy hours have I spent learning how to knit with my mom and grandmom? There will never exist a knitting machine that can tell so many interesting stories!
67. Buying handmade ensures the discovery of quirky, one of a kind items! Companies won’t commit vast machines/factories to make riskier, odder things at the risk of not selling 1000’s or millions of mass produced units. But that is exactly what is best and most fun about making something oneself. Experimenting with new and different things! Odd shapes and combinations that may not be commercial but are definitely fun.
71. Buying handmade shows our children that not everything in this world needs to be mass produced. It teaches them to love and appreciate the unique and the imperfect. And it inspires them to do their own creating as well.
83. Buying handmade encourages independent thinking that breaks corporation's homogenizing tendencies.
86. Buying handmade allows opportunities for customization where shoppers can participate in the creative process to further personalize the item.
96. Buying handmade is just simply delightful.
For the full list, click here.
If you are interested in taking the Handmade Pledge, click here.
What are YOUR favorite reasons for buying handmade?